for more healthy eating and better relationships


Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Salmon Recipe (That Will Make You Awesome)


When you make salmon this way, your friends/family or your hubby (or wifey, we play fair) might just call you AWESOME.  This post, in my opinion, is a kill two birds with one stone because: 1) it's super healthy & tasty, and 2) this probably will improve your relationship (especially those who love with their stomachs!).  

To be upfront here, I didn't write this recipe, but I concocted a very, very similar salmon recipe in my head, executed on it, and was like oh my goodness, this must be some new secret for making incredible salmon!  Well, it didn't take long after searching 'tomatoes' and 'salmon' that my revolutionary recipe probably has been made for, like generations.

But whatever, oh I must caveat, that one very likely reason for my eureka moment with this recipe after I tasted it is because most of my sauce ingredients were from the garden.  But I think no matter what, the recipe will still taste good, and just try your hardest to use organic vine ripened tomatoes.  I think you will taste the difference.  Btw, I didn't do everything here and added other things (like I don't add the extra water if my tomatoes are juicy), so go with whatever you feel like!  The picture above is my own of the salmon I made. 


Salmon with Tomato, Onions, and Capers Recipe


Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
  • 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
  • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
  • 2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
  • The juice of one meyer lemon, or half a regular lemon with a teaspoon of sugar
  • 2 Tbsp of capers, drained
  • 1 teaspoon of chopped jalapeño peppers (no seeds, no stem, no ribs) either fresh or pickled
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 fresh salmon fillets, 1/2 lb each

Method

1 In a large, wide (at least 12 inches wide) saucepan (one that comes with a cover), heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes, thyme, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, and jalapeño peppers. Simmer for 10 minutes, adding a little water if needed to prevent the sauce from getting too dry. Salt and pepper to taste.

2 Add 1/3 a cup of white wine - a simple Chardonnay will work. Add 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a simmer. Place the fillets in the pan on top of the sauce, skin side down, if the fillets are still in their skin. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on how thick the cuts of fish are. Poke the fish with a fork and look for doneness. The fish should still be somewhat rare in the middle, but not raw. Serve immediately, with tomato sauce generously applied.

Serves 4

Source: http://simplyrecipes.com/
More of my postings on salmon: Essentials of Wild Salmon and Healthy Restaurant Review: Cafe Nordstrom

No comments: