for more healthy eating and better relationships


Friday, January 21, 2011

Ode to Mr. Strong and Eggs.

 
Remember Mr. Strong?  I loved the Mr. Men series by Roger Hargreaves as a kid.  I think growing up, I would try to borrow every book in the series at the library.  My most formidable memory from these books was just how Mr. Strong loved eggs and ate them all the time!  He was so strong from eating eggs.  And, my mom and grandma always said, you can eat one egg a day, it’s good for you, especially while you are young.

Awesome, gets me closer to living like Mr. Strong.

But then as I got older, there was a long period of time (and I guess it still exists) when people were saying how eggs were bad for cholesterol and not to be consumed often.  And gradually, my egg consumption declined…to virtually only times I went out for brunch, which didn’t amount to that often.

Well, times (and knowledge) are a changin’, and my understanding today is that eggs are good for one’s health.  According to multiple sources (see a few below), eggs are a highly nutritious food, probably the most nutritious that money can buy.  Each egg only contains 75 calories, and yet eggs provide all the essential amino acids and minerals required by the human body, and supply vitamins A, B, and D.  Bargain eating is what I look for – low calories for a lot of nutrients, and eggs totally qualify.  There is a belief that egg yolks lead to high cholesterol levels.  I keep reading/finding that egg yolks may actually lower total body levels of low-density lipoprotein (undesirable cholesterol), while raising levels of high-density lipoprotein (or good cholesterol).  We’ll leave it to the nutritionists to battle that out.

I often eat boiled eggs as part of my meals – it actually goes well with Asian food.  Or, put some salt and pepper and just that alone makes for a great snack. 

Source: Keeping Chickens, by Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis
Another source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92

No comments: