for more healthy eating and better relationships


Friday, September 23, 2011

Garden Yield

The garden this year is teeming with interesting yield.  Can't believe it's been a month since my last post (Garden Bounty) of what is going on in my garden world.  Here are a few food pictures of what has been harvested (and delightfully consumed).

A picture of our corn.  So the interesting thing about this corn is that the consistency of the kernel is not juicy but chewy.  I actually am not sure I like the texture as much as the 'selected' corn species we get from the commercial farm, but I bet this corn is far more nutritious and fibrous, which is not what most healthy people today connect corn to.  Also, there are hundreds if not thousands of species of corn, so hope to be trying other varieties in the future.


The following is our very own watermelon!  Notice the holes, it is a big overgrown (sorry should have taken plastic wrap off before shooting a picture).  But if you pick your watermelon at the right time, the flavor and crispness of the fruit is DELICIOUS.  Wish I could share bites of this over the internet.


These are our vine ripened tomatoes.  They are a beauty (except for that traumatized one on the right).  They take a long time to grow (and water), but so well worth it.  Especially when you make it into a tomato sauce.


Lastly, check out our bitter vegetable.  I think it looks so cool.  However, I really don't like eating these because it is spicy and bitter!  It is used in Chinese cooking, although a cool looking specimen and packed with nutrients, I am sure, but I usually can do without it...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to your fresh food recipes and shares Annie

findfoodlove said...

Hi Annie! Thanks for visiting and for your awesome tweets - heartfelt thanks to you!

Some recipes that you might like from my past posts include: http://bit.ly/pASp24
http://bit.ly/ouYS65


Tina