for more healthy eating and better relationships


Friday, March 18, 2011

The Need for Clean Air

The events going on around the world these days really saddens my soul.  I hope stability and peace will come soon, especially to those who face immense suffering.  Japan, I will pray for you!

One thing that does not cease to amaze me is the ever growing need for fresh air.  I walk in the city (or in the suburbs), and the cars whiz by, leaving me in their exhaust.  Malls that have trapped air, exposing people to breathing each other's germs.  Our homes may sit with new paint, new furnishings, or no open windows for long periods of time.  I don't know about your case, but I think getting a breath of fresh air will be a growing problem for the world, and air fresheners are the last solution - they just cause you to breathe in more chemicals!

A few happy things for those people who feel like they don't breathe enough clean air: smoking is getting a tighter beatdown, potential higher taxes, and a boot out of public places (for those who do smoke, it's really not good for you anyway!)  Electric cars, clean(er) energy (more debate on this to come), and other initiatives are in place to improve the air we breathe.

One thing that we can all do for ourselves and our families is to grow plants indoors (and outdoor if you would like)!  Indoor plants really help with oxygen.  I have lived in what I call a "sterile" apartment in the past with no plantlife whatsoever.  I could tell the difference.  When I turned off the air while at work, the air when I come home was stale.  Plants don't get rid of all the stale air, but at least it increases the oxygen, and with certain toxins.  NASA came out with a study a couple of years ago that certain plants are better at removing toxins than others.  Some of these toxins include formaldehyde, benzene, and carbon monoxide.  For the full list, check out the link below.

Ones I like? The rubber plant (ficus robusta).  Pretty easy to take care of, just beware of the milky sap, you don't want that on your hands (wear gloves) or on the carpet/floor.  Another, although I have never grown this one, that sounds like a very low maintenance option: peace lily (spathiphyllum "mauna loa").  It tolerates neglect and is supposed to go dry every once in awhile.

Even if you don't decide to get one of the NASA "recommended" plants.  How about an herb box??  Aren't we all foodies who love freshness and clean(er) air? It could even be an experiment.  Take a container, any container, like the tub of nuts or snacks you just finished :), find some potting soil (home depot?), and look online for which herbs will grow alright indoors.  A weekend project for the adventurous. 

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2009/05/the-top-10-plants-for-removing-indoor-toxins/

No comments: