for more healthy eating and better relationships


Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cold Remedy II - How to Stay Warm

In my previous post (Cold Remedy), I talk about staying warm.  It seems so commonsensical, but really all my life, and I really mean, almost all that I can remember - I usually felt cold in the winter, fall and spring (and in the summer when most of America blasts the air conditioning).  My mom said also I had this problem of wearing the wrong clothes for the wrong season.  For instance, it was spring, summer seemed like it was almost here, so in April I would start to wear thinner T-shirts or a skirt.  In high school, if I got a new jacket for spring, I would want to wear it in Feburary.  I guess from a little girl, I was always looking forward to the next season (maybe I should have gotten into the fashion industry).

I thought my cold state was only due to what I was wearing (or not wearing).  However, as I have grown older and now dress more "in season," I am still usually cold.  I think this is indication that something is wrong.  Our bodies are strong, especially if we have moms who fed us organic and homemade baby food from the get go (I love you Mom!), but over time, without proper knowledge and practice, our bodies will deteriorate and become more susceptible to sickness and disease.  I don't want to ruin this beautiful creation.

How to stay warm.

1) Wear "in season."  After my explanation above, you get my point.  Wear layers so that you can adjust when you feel warm or cold.  The material of your clothes also makes a big difference.  100% Cotton is best - but in the winter, you will want to layer on top of it.  Acrylic is not warm.  Cashmere, silk, wool blends are warm.  A lot of polyester is out there, especially wicking fabrics.  I think wearing polyester/spandex blended materials in the winter makes me feel cold (especially before I work out), it creates a lot of static (not sure how "healthy" it is), so I stopped buying them and have gone back to cotton.

2) Slap yourself.  I think I will need to qualify this, since you probably think I am craaazy.  First of all, this is a Chinese medicine practice.  Not on your face, but slap your arm joint areas (top side of elbow), and behind your knee and around your knee (above and around knee cap area).  Not hard, but just enough to feel a little sting, and you will find your hand and hit areas get warm.  Do it like 15 times to each spot, and it will start to get your blood flowing.  When blood flows, you will not be cold.

3) Warm feet.  Women tend to have cold feet because we like to wear fancy shoes, skirts with pantyhose or for whatever reason.  Thing is, warm feet are essential to good health.  Buy some booties and layer in socks in the winter.  Treat yourself to some warm boots.  If your feet are cold, fix the situation.  Hot showers, foot spa (I have the one from Brookstone because Target sold out of their $20 dollar ones!), leg exercises all help.

4) Warm foods.  Hot soup with bone marrow is really good.  This is what I do.  Go and buy some chicken - whole, drumsticks, thigh, whatever with bones.  Cut the fat out.  Then put in a steamer or you probably can do it on the stove if you don't have a steamer, put chicken in with shitake mushrooms, ginger (4-5 pieces), scallion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, goji berries, some water.  Steam for about 25 minutes.  You can steam again to really get the cartilage jelly out.  Highly nutritious soups heal your blood.

No comments: