for more healthy eating and better relationships


Thursday, December 16, 2010

Have Your Kale and Eat It Too


Kale is one of those amazing vegetables that deserve more refrigerator space and commercial time in all forms of media.  Kale is amazing for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer attributes.  Kale is loaded with calcium, iron and vitamins A, C, and bone-building vitamin K.  It contains 7x the beta-carotene of broccoli and 10x as much lutein and zeaxanthin (Source: 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, by Jonny Bowden).  

Why don’t people eat it more often?  I think because not everyone knows how to make it taste good.  This recipe comes from the book 101 Optimal Foods, and the recipe is from Chef Robin Kirby from CHOW restaurant in Elmhurst, Illinois.  www.chowtogo.com.  I have met the owner Mary, and her restaurant is amazing – healthy food that tastes good.  If you are in the Elmhurst area, visit her culinary world; I was blown away.  I have made this at home – and for those who know me, I modify everything.  With or without modifications, this recipe is a keeper in my opinion.  Cheers to eating more kale!

Raw Kale Salad with Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
Serves 6-8

Ingredients

Salad
2 bunches kale, stems and ribs removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
½ cup pomegranate seeds (I use dried cranberries)
½ cup diced red onion
½ cup sunflower seeds, shelled

Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
Sea salt and pepper

Combine four salad ingredients.  Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and toss with salad.  Allow to sit in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.

Also, I came across these one day when I was reading an entrepreneur magazine: Kale chips.  http://rhythmsuperfoods.com.  I haven’t had these chips yet since they were not available in my neighborhood, but they look like a good idea and crunchy alternative to satisfy potential savory chip cravings.

No comments: