for more healthy eating and better relationships


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Garden Bounty

Last night, I couldn't sleep because I realized that I am really happy.  I had a knee injury almost two years ago, and am still in recovery and all, but I sense a new place in life.  I feel so healthy these days, relish the food I eat, and learn from one of the greatest pleasures that God gives us from the earth, the garden.

An organic garden and healthy food are synonymous, as I see it, and I have such a great privilege of tasting the fruitful yield of hard labor (many times, not of my own.*boy am I spoiled*). 

For one, I really believe that most of us don't understand just how hard it is to grow food.  For instance, we'll take the tomato for our point of discussion.  This year, we tried growing more than 12 tomato plants.  Throughout the summer, the tomatoes got increasingly annoying.  We watered so much, took note to avoid watering the leaves (otherwise you can kill the plant), and tried all sorts of ways to 'save' the plants.  For most of the summer they looked like they were going to die, and many did.  All in all, thankfully, we had a few plants that survived (keep in mind that when you grow a plant, if it dies, you basically end up with nothing, this is why gardeners don't call it quits so easily).  Here's a picture of our prized possession.


And of course, with no delay, we took a few of those brightly ripened sweet tomatoes along with the basil and yellow squash that is also from our garden, and I made a delectable tomato based sauce with chicken.  The flavor in this dish totally surprised me.  The sweetness of organically grown tomatoes REALLY came out and the garlic and other herbs added so much body to the sauce.  [Isn't this what they eat in Italy on a daily basis?  Man, I need to go back.]  Spooned this sauce over a bed of noodles because we were out of pasta (obviously, I am not Italian). 


I wish I could give you a spoonful of this over the internet, the organic vegetables and ingredients were really so good.  Healthy and nutritious.  That's the way life should be.


"I look upon the pleasure we take in a garden as one of the most innocent delights in human life." –Cicero

No comments: