for more healthy eating and better relationships


Saturday, August 6, 2011

Working the Room

Boy oh boy, I was just perusing my blog posts over the last few months and I have written NOTHING on relationships.  I have had requests (love you guys!), but finding it difficult to write or get to a point that makes sense, so have been putting this off.  However, now, I think it is time to put something out there on relationships! 

Last night I went out with a couple of friends to a happy hour.  We walk in late (what else is new), scan the room, and see if anybody looks interesting enough to stay for the event (don't laugh, I bet you have done the same).  You see a few people wrapped up in conversations.  Some people at the bar are trying to look the part.  Others are huddled with their buddies because talking to strangers can be overly unnerving. 

So, wouldn't it be interesting to know just how the girls work the room as it compares to how the guys work their way around?  And, by the end of the evening, who reaches their goals, and how did they measure their success?  I think if both sexes can figure this out, couples would be coming out of the woodwork! (haha, if only it were that simple).

As the girl, it depends on how ambitious I feel that night.  It may be easier to just hang with my girlfriends, but it makes it difficult to meet new guys, especially if the guys are a bit shy.  I think for both male and female, it's all about getting into conversations or knowing someone there so you have an easier opportunity to.  After you start having some trouble getting into conversations, you go back to your girlfriends as home base.  I think the same strategy works for the guys, more or less.  But this time I had no girlfriends as backups since my friends were guys, and therein, is where I think the silver bullet lies. 

If girls walk in to the event with guys, the only drawback is that the people in the room might think this threesome or foursome are taken, but once you go off and try to talk with various people, the benefit really kicks in.  If you are a girl, and want to crack into a group of standing guys, your guy friend will make a natural introduction, and when your guy friend wants to meet that group of cute girls, you can create a natural segway to introduce him.

And what about achieving one's goals?  That is all determinant on personal preference.  But from what I gather, guys do pretty well if he gets her phone number (one friend was successful last night!).  And, I think for girls, if you meet an attractive guy, it's pretty good if you gave your phone number or got his.  [We'll keep this post rated PG].  But, I think for most, having the option to get in touch again through exchanging contact information means that at least there is the possibility of seeing each other again. 

And, the rest may or may not be history.

No comments: