for more healthy eating and better relationships


Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Really Good Chicken


I have had the incredible opportunity over the last few months to eat really fresh, pasture fed chicken.  Wow.  The difference between a pasture fed chicken and a corn-raised chicken (read: grocery bought) is so evident.  The pasture fed chicken meat is tighter and the flavor, especially when the carcass is slow cooked for a soup or broth, is just so aromatic.  Not bland, droopy meat with tons of fat (you would see this if you bought the whole bird), and almost tasteless broth.  If you haven’t tried it ever, you need to find yourself a farmer friend.

Now, this is not really comparing organic vs. conventional chicken.  Most organic chickens are still grain fed.  Chickens weren’t meant to eat only grains (i.e., corn), but most of the ones you find in the grocery do since it is the fastest way to fatten up chicken for market.  Pasture-fed chicken means it eats bugs, worms, other little critters in addition to corn, and usually these chickens run around outside, like really live the life of a chicken.  I have seen this in action.  And, I would guess that small farmers who raise chickens just for their family and friends rather than for industry let their chickens grow this way.

Here’s a crazy idea.  What does it take to raise chickens?  I want to raise chickens.

I was curious, so I went to the library.  I couldn’t find any chicken books in the system, so when I asked the librarian, the conversation went something like this… 

“Can we help you?”

“Yes, I am looking for some books on how to raise chickens.  Silence.  Like farming, um not really like children's books.  Yeah, I know, it’s kind of weird.”

Librarian heads both nod while trying not to smirk.  I couldn’t help laughing myself, what is an urban girl doing asking for books on how to raise chickens?  (sidenote: my mom wanted to know more about the chickens than I did.)

More to come on what I find out. 

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hi Tina, your blog is great!
Ask Google, I am sure he will be able to teach out how to raise chickens:)
Hope all is good!
Barbara