for more healthy eating and better relationships


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Next Big Superfood?

If you seen the Disney movie, 'The Lion King,' then you have seen this tree that produces an exquisite nutrient rich fruit.  This fruit is deemed by experts to be the next big superfood in the US!  It has already made a big hit in Europe, and in my opinion, Europe is a leader when it comes to policies for a more natural, healthy food chain.  So, will be interesting to see how it fares in the US.


It's the baobab tree!!!  Pronounced as either bay-o-bab or 'bäo-bab.  A picture of the interesting fruit in the picture on the right side.










 The tree was very memorable to me when I saw 'The Lion King' movie, I thought the producers were so creative in coming up with a never-seen looking tree!  Haha, I gave them too much credit, if only I knew nature got it first and was their inspiration.

When harvested, the baobab has a dark chocolate shell, and it is really hard to open.  I had to open it with a table saw! (or I should say *someone else* had to open it with a table saw, I am not that handy :) ).

The taste of this fruit is chalky and tangy.  To me, an acquired taste, but I am getting more used to it.  Definitely something to be combined with other foods.

Baobab is a super, superfood.  It is chock-full of antioxidants.  It has more antioxidants than pomegranates and even acai berries!  More than goji berries, more than blueberries.

Baobab's fiber content is HUGE.  Half of the fruit is fiber!  Compared to an apple, baobab has 10x more fiber.  This stuff should help anyone with constipation, and if you have read my previous article Who Doesn't Want a Flatter Stomach?, then you know going #2 is part of looking good :) .  

More to come on this cool fruit!

Source: Wikipedia

No comments: