for more healthy eating and better relationships


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yang's Fried-Dumpling Restaurant Review

Check out previous posts for more food adventures in China: The Inventive Shanghai Soup Dumpling.

While I was trying to maximize my intake of soup dumplings, I went to a place called Yang's Fried Dumpling on recommendation from a friend.  This place was so good, that our group went back another 2 times after our first visit.  I think my photo taken was during our second trip since I (and my brother) could not get enough of it.

 
This dumpling is pork filled, and is pan fried with sesame seeds on top.  So tasty, so flavorful, so cheap.  Crispy on the bottom, soft on top, juicy on the inside.  Since it is not fried, it doesn't dry out your mouth.  It is a perfect combination of crispy and moist.  The place turns really fast and when people were done eating, we had to swoop in to take their seats.  If you don't, you will be left to eat, standing.



We also ordered a curry soup.  It was alright.  I liked the buns too much so didn't give too much attention to the soup...but if I were to have the soup on its own, it would have been a pretty good one.  I think there was too much competition at that meal.



Although Chinese cooking does use refined flours (as you have seen from my posts), many dishes are relatively light and balanced with different meats and vegetables.  The refined flours (aside from a huge bowl of noodles) are usually not too heavy, but it also depends on your desired consumption levels.  The meals at Yang's were not really balanced as you can see.

However, in total, we found it quite easy to order stir-fried vegetables everywhere we went.  The Chinese consume more vegetables on average than the typical American.  Chinese also consume much less meat.  I think it is still considered and priced as an expensive food.  And, if you add in all the walking people do around there, it is easy to burn off all the calories from your previous meals.  

No comments: