for more healthy eating and better relationships


Thursday, March 10, 2011

When Life Gives you a Lemon...

"When life gives you a lemon...squeeze it, mix with 6 ounces of water, and drink twice daily." - Jethro Kloss, Back to Eden.

Call it folk wisdom if you would like, but scientists are finding in their research that there is some real benefit from lemons.  Science is just catching up with what generations have been passing down.  I used to do some singing in choirs and have taken voice lessons.  One of the remedies I learned for prepping my voice was for the week/days before or right before a concert, take hot water, freshly squeeze lemon juice and add honey.  So good, and so soothing!  I loved it so much that I would drink it more than the concerts I sang in.  Guess I didn't sing enough to "have" to drink the lemon concoction.  Good thing I did and do, because fresh lemon juice has some real positive effects on the body, including the liver, the bile, and digestion.

Sick or getting sick?  Lose your voice?  The lemon concoction might help you get better, faster.

Lemons are a good source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.  Two compounds in lemons: limonoids and limonene.  Both have documented anti-cancer properties.  The peel contains limonene (just beware of the wax), and limonene is found to be preventative against liver, skin, lung cancers and against mammamory and pancreatic tumors.  In addition, drink lemon peel with black tea and it is a particular fighter against skin cancer.

I think my earlier quote says so much - life can be full of lemons, of things seeming so difficult, untimely, and unfair.  But, I think when we are given this chance to be tested, to grow as a person, the benefits surpass a life of only green pastures.  Not that we seek out the lemons in life, but perhaps the attitudes we face them with make a big difference on the outcome and on just how much stronger we get, whether we are willing to take the lemon.  Strength comes from the making.  So, don't pass it up!

Source: 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, Jonny Bowden

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for the lemon tips, especially prior to singing!